Friday 8 April 2016

Editorial pondering

As I e-mail and send my portfolio out to various people, I'm beginning to think that even though I have several publishing-related projects that I'm proud of, I've limited the amount of people I can send my work out to since there's very little in terms of other areas of illustration - particularly editorial.

I shied away from editorial at the beginning of the year because I didn't think the way I made work lent itself well to editorial-style projects, in terms of coming up with a snappy image that looks at articles from an interesting angle. I'm beginning to regret not trying to remedy this lack of confidence because obviously editorial commissions are the bread and butter of a freelance illustrator's practice.

I'm definitely going to have to try and build up a portfolio in this area of the industry so that I can really expand the amount of people it would make sense to send my work out to. I might try and make a small 603 brief out of this - spending a day or so working on an editorial piece if I can manage alongside the big kahuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment