Tuesday 27 May 2014

OUIL402 End of module self evaluation


1.  What learning have you inherited through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied it? Consider differing approaches to contextual/professional research
I think I have inherited more of a sense of my taste in illustration throughout this module through, not only the tasks that have been set for us to go off and find a set amount of images, but through trying to remember to post regularly to my PPP blog practitioners who I find interesting/inspiring.
I think research into the professional world of illustration is better left as a natural process in which you get lost looking at various sources of information and pick out what is relevant to you. That’s why I found it hard to complete some of the tasks in which we were forced to find really specific areas of illustration. I was able to be more reflective when left to myself to find and post illustrations I was into.


2. What approaches to image making have you developed during this module and what informed such ways of working?
I have really developed my ability to work on one sustained drawing for a period of time. My final resolution was the result of several hours of intricate work that I surprisingly did not find as tedious to complete as I thought I would. I went back to using purely line with my brush pen for the first time in a long time which I think was informed by a reflection on my year as a whole and wanting to see how far my drawing skills had developed since the beginning; this process was probably the best way to go about it.
I also think the vector Soul Skate poster is a good example of my developed skill in using vector and shape to create image. The fact that I was also able to incorporate line in the drawing is a huge plus for me. This was definitely informed by some of the shape-based artists I have looked at over the module.

3. What strengths can you identify in your practice and how have/will you capitalise on these in the future?
I think that I have shown a real strength in willingness to develop my work – after compiling work for my slides in the PPP presentation, I realized just how varied some of my work was for the year and all the different processes I had taken to making it.
I feel like I can capitalize on this in second year by taking the processes, which I feel, have worked really well or I have enjoyed doing and develop them and make them a bigger or my integral part of my practice.
I also feel like I’ve become really good at informing my practice through research, a skill which I developed well in the COP module.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your practice and how will you address these in the future?
I think that I still have a lot to learn in terms of composing illustrations and scenes. A lot of my work this year has not really had much composition to it, and when it has, it’s been quite weak. I think I can address this in future by spending more time studying composition and producing thumbnails. I also need to be more confident in diving in and making more composed illustrated scenes as I currently find the task quite daunting.





5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
·      I think maybe I will try and produce a series of posters as I think the two posters I produced (Soul Skate and Theo Parrish) are both really strong on their own, but have left me thinking that they would work so well in a set.
·      When initially designing the image I will try and make sure that it fits to the format that it will be printed at – this will mean that I won’t have to awkwardly find a way to box my design within the poster as I had to for the Theo Parrish piece.
·      I think maybe I might try and exploit the zine idea further. I have been saying to myself all year that I want to make a zine, and while I did make a small one this module, it could’ve worked in a set quite nicely.



6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




x
Punctuality




x
Motivation




x
Commitment



x

Quantity of work produced


x


Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group

x



The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment