Monday 26 May 2014

OUIL404 End of Module Self Evaluation

1.  Which practical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them within your own practice?

In terms of expanding my image making process, I think that looking at shape in depth has been great. I am most comfortable and adept at using line to make images, so this introduced a whole new way to work. I am now a lot more interested in using shape to build images, but also really want to find a way to incorporate it with my line work. I have done so a little bit with one of my iguana images, which features a wash of brusho with minimal line work for definition. I think this sort of simple application has a lot of potential I could tap into. 

2. Which principles/ theories of image making have you found most valuable during this module and how effectively do you think you are employing these within your own practice?

I think in general, this module has been great for improving raw drawing skill. Most importantly I have developed my skills in creating illustrations as opposed to simple drawings – this is in terms of composing and finishing a drawn image. These skills are feeding into the work I produce in my other modules and also personal image making. I feel like I am able to formalize my image making much better than before and even find the extended process of making illustrations enjoyable.

3. What strengths can you identify within your Visual Language submission you capitalise on these?

Looking through studio brief 1 and 2, I’ve noticed that there is a very clear improvement in my ability to compose images. In studio brief 2, all my images are composed and what I would consider illustration, as opposed to studio brief 1 in which hardly any of the images have context. I feel like my thumbnailing and ability to produce roughs in preparation of a final piece is strong. I think in the last two pieces, the headless man and flying car, I nailed line of sight pretty well. I really want to continue developing this skill through reading more Loomis.

4. What areas for development can you identify within your Visual Language submission and how will you address these in the future?

My blog is very black and white in terms of colour. I don’t feel like I do enough colour tests/experimentation. Also I should probably try and use more kinds of media. I think it was good that I completed the flying car completely with watercolour as opposed to going digital and that I used dip pen for the drawing part of the headless man.
I think I need to develop traditional practices to drawing and usage of traditional media rather than relying on digital colouring/drawing techniques. I definitely need to step away from using fine liners and my brush pen. Also I always feel that my general drawing skill can be improved. I still have yet to study Loomis’ “Figure drawing for all it’s worth”.

5. In what way has this module informed how you deconstruct and analyse artwork (whether your own or that of contemporary practitioners)?

I now tend to look at an image and think about it in terms of whether it uses shape or line primarily, or a combination of both. When I find such images, I find it easier to pick out what I like about it, what inspires me and how I can potentially apply it to my own practice.
I also try to consciously identify a line of sight and pick apart what it is that gives the image that direction. After having drawn an image myself, I often try to identify where I have used such methodologies myself and how successful I have been. Sometimes I try to come back to an image a while after having done it and see what sort of impact it has after I’ve forgotten about all the conscious decisions I made while drawing it. I think this has given me a much more objective view on my work, making it easier to evaluate and improve upon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment