Monday 6 October 2014

OUIL502 - Study Task 1

5 things I learnt last year:

  • I feel like I learnt how to create really informed pieces of illustration through the COP module - after taking time to research a historical topic that was interesting to me, I was able to identify relevant concepts to both my practice and how society has informed art and design.
  • I learnt that a thoroughness in visual experimentation early on during a set brief is extremely beneficial not only to develop processes of working, but concepts behind work. This was also discovered during the practical side of the COP module.
  • I learnt that even though I love to use intricate line work in my illustrations, combining it with shape or any other methods of image making will stop my work from stagnating and getting boring.
  • I learnt how to more critically analyse other illustrations through the visual language module. This module helped me identify and describe what techniques are used in illustrations and how effectively they've been used
  • I learnt that combining my love for line drawing and my growing interest in shape based illustration suits the screen printing process quite well - I learnt how much I love screen printing and that I want to definitely get even more into it in the future.

5 things I want to learn more about:

  • I want to learn the best way to go about having an online presence as an illustrator - good practices for maintaining a website and what to post online and what not to.
  • I want to learn how to begin incorporating animation into my work or creating short animations
  • I want to learn how to effectively network with others to help get my work/name out there.
  • I want to learn more about studio spaces after leaving uni/how to maintain my practice when I leave uni
  • I want to learn more about how people go about joining illustration agencies/collectives

5 strengths

  • I think a strength of my work is how varied I can make it - last year, after looking over all the final resolutions I came to, I noticed that a lot of the techniques I employed throughout were very different to each other.
  • I think that when I really put my mind to it, I am able to produce a lot of visual experimentation that can strongly and positively influence the rest of my project.
  • I think I'm quite good at having the self-discipline to work for consistently long periods of time, particularly if I have studio access that day.
  • I've gotten a lot better at being able to articulate the ideas behind my work and also take part in crits giving and receiving feedback.
  • My research skills have allowed me to produce well informed pieces of illustration, should I need to make something with a bit more meaning or historical context behind it.

5 things to improve on

  • I'm still not very good at creating finished, composed illustrations. My compositions tend to be quite weak and not feel that "tight". I need to stop imagining that the task is so daunting and just practice it.
  • I want to improve my skills with wetter/more adventurous media. I need to stop relying so heavily on my fine liners and brush pen and start practising my skills in an area like painting.
  • I think I should also improve on using mixed media to create different moods/textures within a single image as I don't want one piece to look monotonous.
  • I need to do more relevant visual research before rushing into a brief so that I can create something more inspired
  • I want to improve on my screen printing abilities as every time I went to do it last year I would make a mistake at some point and a few of my screen prints would end up with something wrong with them (wonky, smudged, etc)

5 things that define what i'm interested in illustration:


Poster design (gigs, events etc.)


Concept art (movies, games etc.)


Character design (movies, games, toys)


Book cover design (novels, magazines)


Screen printing/print making







http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/on-translating-kafkas-the-metamorphosis




No comments:

Post a Comment