Monday 19 May 2014

Moodymann and Soul Skate

I need context for my project- I'm choosing a poster.
I want to design a poster for an event where a DJ I like and who is related to the house/techno scene is playing.

http://vimeo.com/28718566

  • I watched a lecture/interview that Moodymann gave. Was really interesting to listen to him and find out what he was like (what a gangsta).
  • Found out about a night he puts on every two years called "Soul Skate". It's a roller disco in Detroit. There was one in London a couple years ago though.
Thought it would be interesting to design something for it:

Some quick initial sketches and potential thumbnails. Want to take advantage of Moodymann's afro - either turn it into a record or make it what the roller skaters are skating around.

Another idea and drawing of Moodymann - using mark making to define the planes of the head and suggest 3-Dimensionality. I also did a skyline of Detroit in his hair with correction fluid to communicate where he's from and the event location.

Drawn on Illustrator keeping those planes in mind, in a simpler form.

Texture and white border added in Photoshop - border stops the afro from reaching the edge of the poster and contains composition. 
It's not obvious at this resolution but texture is used in his afro, moustache and glasses as well

Different background pattern, one I'm more happy with. I think this has turned out successfully. Mix of line and shape once again, just as with my Jackmaster Funk portrait. Also I'm really pleased with the type - it's usually a weak point of mine but I think it works quite well here.

In terms of subject matter though, Moodymann's face is already really iconic with the afro glasses and moustache/beard. I haven't tread in any new territory here, so perhaps a Moodymann poster is not the best way to round off the PPP module.







No comments:

Post a Comment