Saturday 10 May 2014

STUDIO BRIEF 2 - The Illustrated Self

I'm into house music and DJ culture. I'm going to look at this for my PPP project.

Started by drawing some house artists that I personally really like as a starting point:

Documentary on the history of House music, going back to the late 70s.
What I got from this:
  • Some important names: Ron Hardy, Marshall Jefferson, Derrick May, Steve Silk Hurley, Frankie Knuckles, DJ Pierre, Jamie Principle, Farley Jackmaster Funk
  • Clubs: The Warehouse, which turned into the Muzik Box (got a bit filthy in there)
  • "Jacking" - type of dance, 80s equivalent of daggering


Interesting article on Ron Hardy: http://www.djhistory.com/features/ron-hardy-chicago-legend
-he did a lot of heroin and drugs. This would end up killing him
-he had a hectic mixing style - would speed songs up a lot, making the crowd go crazy
-really energetic person
-played at the Muzik Box after Knuckles left Warehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment