Tuesday 24 November 2015

Tutorial with Patrick

This was really useful:

  • Off the back of the lecture with Good Wives and Warriors, advertising has become quite an attractive pathway for me to take in the future. Look into contacting advertising agencies/companies. (Blinkink/art, BigActive)
  • D&AD type briefs are very much advertising based. These are a good way to get myself thinking in terms of the field. Have another look at the briefs and really try and un-pick them. Think about the creative side of things first, and then stick the product in there. Think outside of my box.
  • This leads into me needing to think bigger. Never consider an image finished - always think about how I can improve it or change it. This includes screen prints if I want to improve them for portfolio purposes. i.e. Grimes
  • Being an illustrator/designer and being a printmaker are two different things and skill sets. Don't worry too much if I don't become a master printmaker as long as I'm a good designer, as the designs are looking good even if the prints aren't top notch.
  • Be more ambitious/experimental with the screen prints - prepping paper by hand before printing onto it might yield interesting results and unique one-off prints
  • Be more positive about my work so as to not make it lose value.
Studio practice related:
  • Re-evaluate where War Horse images are going - they are at risk of seeming to patronising at the moment as they are not saying unique that the text isn't already. Look at graphic industrial aesthetic of the early 20th century. Re-think colour palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment