Monday 23 November 2015

Portfolio session with Patrick

General notes from the session:

  • 10 pieces in your portfolio is a good start - never more than 20. 
  • The most comfortable size for the portfolio is A3 - big enough but not too big.
  • Start positive and end positive - i.e. good pieces.
  • When meeting a client, do a lot of research behind them, specifically the person you are going to meet. 
  • Don't just bring whatever you think they want to see or think they want, but other stuff that they might be interested in. You can get a sense of control and push them in a creative direction.
  • Before a meeting, ask them if they want you to do anything, for a 'creative steer'.
  • Testimonials look good on a website along with a client list

AUDIT my body of work and find 10 core pieces:

http://issuu.com/es251397/docs/10_pieces
I'm not totally happy with all these pieces, and this task has made me realise that I really don't have much work to show from the last 2 years, which is why I'm hoping to rectify this ASAP with Extended Practice.
  • Manuel Gottsching screen print poster (level 6)
  • Flight Facilties screen print poster (level 6)
  • Grimes screen print poster (level 6)
  • Mind Melter screen print poster - competition brief (level 5)
  • Waking Life movie poster - competition brief (level 5)
  • Vice Rule Britannia animation D&AD competition brief https://vimeo.com/123204993 (level 5)
  • Ubiquitous Mobility picture book about the overabundance of technology in society http://issuu.com/es251397/docs/cop_book (level 5)
  • Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka series of book covers and box set http://issuu.com/es251397/docs/505_presentation_boards (level 5)
  • The Judgement by Franz Kafka inner illustration (level 5)
  • Light for Leeds College of Art student magazine (level 6)
All images were completed in 2015, but I have a feeling that by 2016 nothing from level 5 will be something I will want in my portfolio. I'm not really sure what I was doing in level 5 but I don't really like much of the work I produced that year anymore. I think this is good though because it means that I'm pushing myself even more this year to produce good, professional-level work.

I have this image that I screen printed in first year which I am still quite pleased with. I would consider putting it in a portfolio at this stage, but the screen prints themselves were A1 in size and the colours were far from what I intended originally. And while the registration was mostly good, only a few of the prints were aligned straight on with the paper:

So in total I have one piece from first year that I would maybe consider 'good'
and only a few from second year which I would consider 'acceptable', which places a lot of pressure/importance in this final year.

No comments:

Post a Comment