Monday 9 March 2015

Life drawing society



This year I volunteered to help run the life drawing society at the College. I did this because life drawing is something that I am really passionate about and to be a part of the team that helped run it would be very rewarding to me.

At first I applied for the role of 'treasurer' as I thought it would be a relatively relaxed job and that I would probably be quite good at it since I'm fairly organised. Unfortunately, due to general disorganisation within the team, we dropped formal roles and everyone ended up doing a bit of everything. I also designed the above poster and distributed it around the College

When the first session finally happened, I was asked to deliver it - i.e. introducing the session, greeting the class and being in charge of the pose times. I was uncomfortable doing this as I felt an unfair responsibility was being dumped on me (and I'm also really bad at talking to groups of people, especially if I don't know them), and the same thing happened again next week until the president of the society left without saying anything.

After this happened I pretty much took over all contact between the society and the Students' Union and continued to deliver the sessions. Although I initially disliked having to deliver sessions, I was proud of myself for doing something out of my comfort zone and eventually got a bit better at it.





Although this isn't strictly illustration related, I think this has been a development of my professional communication skills via email, organisational skills in a group and, to a certain extent, public speaking skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment